Palau De La Música Catalana - Famous Concert Hall
Art-Nouveau 1908 UNESCO concert hall by Lluís Domènech i Montaner with ceiling skylight. Guided tour tickets or visit for a concert
Basílica de Santa María del Mar - Born Cathedral
Gothic cathedral built 1383 at the peek of Catalonia's Maritime and mercantile prominence. Free entry but also offers a guided tour including visit to rooftop
Centre de Cultura i Memòria Born (CCM) - Born Cultural Centre
Spectacular exhibition space & archaeological ruins. Designed by Antoni Rovira i Trias as a food market for the wholesale of fruit & vegetables
Plaça Del Fossar De Les Moreres Tribute to fallen soldiers
Former Santa María del Mar graveyard and burial site of the fallen from the 1714 siege of Barcelona. Today, a memorial square with eternal flame torch
Estació de França - Grand Train Station
Rebuilt for 1929 International Exhibition by architect Pedro Muguruza with grand concourse. Last remaining Mainline surface railway station in Barcelona
Mercat de Santa Caterina - Santa Caterina Market in El Born
Food market from 1848 with remodelled roof (2005) by Enric Miralles and Benedetta Tagliabue. contains a small display area preserving historic ruins
Sant Pere de les Puel·les Church Medieval monastery
10th Century Romanesque Benedictine monastery. What remains today is the 11th century ground floor church with cross floor plan
Museo Picasso Barcelona - Picasso Museum Barcelona
Opening hours, tickets & tips for visiting the Picasso Museum. 4000+ works on display within 5 medieval palaces in El Born District
Ethnological & World Cultures Museum Barcelona Montcada Site
The Ethnological Museum in Montcada street is a three-floor modern museum of cultural heritage from Africa, South America, India and pacific islands
Passeig del Born Historic boulevard from cathedral to market
Medieval street with cannon ball and chest street art surrounded by fashion boutiques and art museums. Thriving nightlife cocktail bars and restaurants
Getting to El Born
Born has narow winding streets and is one of the oldest parts of Central downtown Barcelona and as such no metro lines run underneath but the neighbourhood is surounded by lines and stations which provide access.
To the left of El born is Gothic Quarter with the dividing line between them being Via Leitana with the yellow Metro Line (L4) running underneath. The best metro stop for el Born is Jaume I.
To the right of El Born is Parc Cuitadella with the best stop being the metro Red line (L1) Arc De Triomf station. This station is also served by Renfe Rodalies commuter rail trains.
At the bottom of El born is the Barceloneta neighbourhood which is served by Estacio de Franca Renfe station providing Regional and Rodalies rail services. The Yellow Metro line (L4) also stops at Barceloneta.
At the top of El born the Eixample district borders El born in Plaça de Urquinaona served by the red Metro Line (L1).
Car parking in El Born
- Parking Saba Bamsa Francesc Cambó: Near to Santa Catarina Market.
Av. de Francesc Cambó 10, 08003 Barcelona
- Parking Saba Bamsa Lluís Companys - Ciutadella: Near to Parc Cuitadella and Sant Pere de les Puel·les Church. Passeig de Lluís Companys, 08003 Barcelona
- Parking PARKIA El Born. CCM Barcelona: Near to EL Born Cultural Centre & Santa Maria del Mar Cathedral. Plaça Comercial 10, 08003 Barcelona
Where to Eat El Born
El Born is the place to go for eating tapas and for restaurants and bars. Below is a list of thr top highly recommended restarants and Bars in El Born.
Near Palau de la Música & Sant Pere Church
- Tosca Tapas y Vino: 40 different vegetarian, meat and seafood Tapas. Authentic Traditional Spanish tapas or new modern day tapas. Enjoy a large range of wines, fresh fruity cocktails or local craft beers within a warm and friendly ambience.
Carrer de Sant Pere Més Alt 8, 08003 Barcelona
- Flax & Kale: Innovative health food restaurant with a menu strongly based around vegetables and salads. Gluten Free Healthy Pizzas, Asian-Mediterranean Fusion Cuisine.
Carrer de Sant Pere Més Alt 31, 08003 Barcelona
- Casa Lolea: Contemporary Spanish cuisine & sangria in a chic space with unique polka-dot decor.
Carrer de Sant Pere Més Alt 49, 08003 Barcelona
- Candela: Peruvian & Mediterranean Fusion with terrace dining in Plaça de Sant Pere.
Plaça de Sant Pere 12, 08003 Barcelona
- Le Cucine Mandarosso: Authentic Italian pasta, seasonal mains & desserts.
Calle de Verdaguer i Callís 4, 08003 Barcelona
Near Santa Maria del Mar basilica & Picasso Museum
- Honest Greens Born: Mostly plant based food with an international mix of dishes.
Pla de Palau 11, 08003 Barcelona
- La Vinya del Senyor: Outdoor tables in front of Santa maria del Mar basilica offering an wine and tapas.
Plaça de Santa Maria 5, 08003 Barcelona
- Restaurant Petra:Contemporary seasonal Catalan cooking in a restaurant with colorful tiles and stained-glass windows.
Carrer dels Sombrerers 13, 08003 Barcelona
- La Font de les Muses: Traditional Catalan food and tapas as well as a three course lunch set menu for only €12.90.
Carrer dels Banys Vells 18, 08003 Barcelona
- Estimar: Award winning Michelin Guide restaurant known for its seafood and grilled dishes.
Carrer de Sant Antoni dels Sombrerers 3, 08003 Barcelona
- Nonna’s Brunch: Brunch Sandwichees, salads and cakes with tea nad coffee. Carrer de les Caputxes 4, 08003 Barcelona
- El Chigre 1769: Bar serving Artisan Catalonian and Asturian tapas dishes with cider, vermouth and local wines.
C/ dels Sombrerers 7, 08003 Barcelona
- Las Fritas: The best takeaway or eat in french fries you will find. C. de l'Argenteria 70, 08003 Barcelona
- sagardi: Basque food of charcoal grilled meats and fish dishes with homemade deserts. C. de l'Argenteria 62, 08003 Barcelona
Documents for El Born
Weather for Barcelona
What to take with you for El Born
Day Trip Rucksack
Small 10L day trip and museums rucksack
0.8L water bottle
Reusable, refillable 1L water bottle.
Small folded lightweight Water proof poncho for emergencies
In Ear Headphones
With 3.5mm jack. For running and for museum visits that have an audio guide. Museums don't provide headphones since Covid.
How much does El Born Day Trip Cost?
The above museums and Basilica charge for visits and guided tours but the rest of the El Born's attractions can be explored for free.